Thursday, June 3, 2010

internal medicine.basic.clinic

internal medicine is the last posting for my basic clinic this week. so far, surgery posting is still the one that captures my attention. yet, internal medicine is quite interesting as well. assoc. prof dr. tan  is assign to my group, she is nice yet very strict. 


the best thing bout today are, i able to see and examine quite a number of patients. a guy with miliary tuberculosis, an uncle with adrenal gland adenoma, an uncle with upper motor neuron lesion, an uncle with Parkinson disease, an uncle with bell palsy, an uncle with heart murmurs, lastly, a cute boy with acute asthmatic attack. i know this might sound lame, but being able to see extended babinski sign plus hypotonia for UMNL, resting tremor and cogwheel rigidity for basal ganglia defect and being able to hear rhonci from an asthma patient are great start for my clinical years. 

being able to experience things live in reality what i have been reading for the whole two years of my preclinical studies is AWESOME.

i want to share a bit about the cute boy with asthma and his mother. as soon as my colleague told me that he heard rhonci from the boy, i immediately went to that boy's bed and asked for permission to auscultate his chest. at first, the boy seems to be quite reluctant and shy, but suddenly his mother said,

"adik, adik bagi akak ni check badan adik ye? die nak belajar, nanti akak ni jadi doktor, adik yang dapat pahala" 

after listening to his mother, the boy let us examined him. i felt touched listening to his mother's words.

ya allah, what a great responsibility you've given to me now, to study hard and being able help people. sometimes i play too much till i forget the main purpose that brings me here. i hope by being surrounded by sick people everyday, will bring me closer to god.  
  
totally boost up my spirit to start my clinical studies =)

i will be on hiatus for a week, going to personal and professional development camp next week.

~wink~

No comments: